Wednesday 21 April 2010

Bernini - The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa'

I spent the morning discussing my project with one of my tutors (Shaun). From this I found out different ways that I could develop my project, particularly in terms of having a range of outcome to choose from. I also gained more information which will benefit my research in the project - I was introduced to the work of Gian Lorenzo Bernini, particularly his sculptor 'The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa'. In this sculptor Bernini shows a swooning nun (Theresa) being speared by an angel (who resemble cupid), however her facial expression does not fit the context of the sculptor - Theresa has an expression of sexual ecstasy and seeing the face taken away from the context of the sculptor emphasises this, however once seen within the scene created, is the expression of Theresa meant to represent pain? Or is Bernini just trying to convey the message that our facial expression may deceive what we our actually feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment