Thursday 8 April 2010

To be Continued....................................Now:

I have continued to research into micro expressions and have found some interesting videos:

One in particularly is a video uploaded to youtube which shows an example of facial expression recognition software in action - this software (perhaps not this particular one) was pioneered by the work of Ekman and his team of psychologists. I found it extremely interesting how the software can detecting even the slightest movements in the face and how this can affect what emotion the face is expressing. The video has also made me realise that there can be only very slight changes in some expression and perhaps with out the software these emotions can be confused, i.e disgust and anger or fear and surprise.

I also found a series of videos showing slow motion shots of the movement of the face in each of the seven universal emotions i have been studying. I found this video absolutely fascinating, especially in terms of showing how at times the emotions are similar but also to show exactly how the face moves and what effect this can create.

Another video is an hour-long interview with psychologist Paul Ekman which had been uploaded to Youtube. Particularly interesting to get his opinions directly on the experience he has done, what he had found and why he decided to do it -- (links to the videos watched are in the useful link section, right)

I have also start some simple sketches of faces from magazines cuttings that I found interesting - I have enjoy using some different materials so far as part of my research and I feel by drawing more faces I will learn more about the movement of the face as well as proportions.

No comments:

Post a Comment