Thursday 1 April 2010

Paul Ekman's Book - Unmasking the face... (Initial research)

As part of the main inspiration for my work I have got a book by American psychologist Paul Ekman who was the pioneer of discovering the seven universal emotions: contempt, anger, disgust, sadness, happiness, fear and surprise. The book is entitled 'Unmasking the Face' and focuses on what these emotions look like and what feel like when you experience. It also explains how to identify these basic emotions and develop a keener awareness of the way our face reflects the emotion we our feeling.

So far the book seems a very interesting read and I will continue to read it throughout the project. I will also refer back to it whilst creating photographic experiments particularly when I will try to use external stimulus to make the sitter feel a certain emotion. As I feel this will be especially useful for this as I know Ekman has created similar experiments to determine these emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment