Saturday 10 April 2010

Newspaper and Magazine faces...

I have decided to spend the next week or so collecting portraits and facial expressions from magazines and newspapers that I have and intend to purchase. By doing this I hope to build up an awareness to the amount of portraits we our surrounded by an often ignore as unimportant -- Perhaps we purchase these magazines with Cheryl Cole's face prominent on the front cover but do we really take note of their facial expressions and what emotions they show in the photographs unless its labelled in a large font over the image?

I was interested to see whether places all together the faces I had found in mags and newspapers were as important if they were placed out of context. I also wanted to see whether it was as easy to identify the facial expressions if the images were taking away from the stories which backed up the images. I found that collecting these images has made me more aware of just how much we see photographs or images of facial expressions whether this be through advertisement or paparazzi shots of celebs, we are surrounded by images of people.

I have also collected some interesting portrait photographs that have been used in magazines and newspaper - one of the most interesting I feel is of David Cameron and was found in Live magazine which is a sunday supplement for 'The Daily Mail'. Due to the ever nearing general election it seems the majority of the media has focused its on attention on this story. This image of Cameron has inspired me to look at the work of Martin Schoeller as it very much reminded me of his work and how this lighting effect may work particularly well in creating my own photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment