Wednesday 21 April 2010

Wednesday Continued...

In the afternoon on today, I decided to experiment with a different media, this took the form of stop motion video. Within this stop motion video I decided to show the seven universal emotions that I have been studying through the use of photography and video. I have used the still camera on the video camera to shoot seven different people expressing seven different emotions on their faces. I also chose to get each sitter to right down what emotion they felt they were conveying on a small white board - this was done because I felt that it would give me an insight into how other people feel the emotions are expressed and for later to use when I can compare a more staged image shown in the video with less staged.

Overall I think the video works as part of my research into facial expressions, however I don't feel as though I will choose to pursue this idea any further, particularly in terms of development towards my final outcome. I also may develop the video further by slowing it down using either After Effects or iMovie as the expressions are slightly to quick to notice. Although in some ways I find this interesting as it makes it harder to identify each expressions and this idea of showing quick images of the different expressions part of video and asking people to identify them relates to the work of Ekman and may be an interesting idea to pursue further (this could be easily created using the photographs I intend to take).

No comments:

Post a Comment