Wednesday 5 May 2010

wwwwwwwwednesday...

After getting feedback about my work I decided that it was about time I really organised what I intend to get from this project and have a clearer idea on what I want to achieve at the end of the project. Initially I struggled to come up with a solid idea of which I could progress with but after sometime talking to people about my project and researching on the internet about facial expressions, I came up with the idea to focus on why we react strongly to certain things, i.e. when in an argument our facial expressions can make someone else more angry than what we actually say (this is something that I also found out about in the documentary 'The Human Face'). I thought of the idea of photographing people talking or going about their daily business but felt that this would distract away from the main focus being on facial expressions and not necessarily body language. I also felt that this idea may not be very accurate because its hard to get the sitter/model to act as normal when they are constantly aware of the camera.

I know that I want to do a more scientific experiment with the essence of the project to prove something important about facial expressions similar to what Paul Ekman has spent his life achieving. I also wanted the experiments relate to my own interests, which is why I feel as though I have come to the conclusion that a good way to experiment facial expressions is to look the reaction that are created by the media, i.e. newspaper articles, magazines, film and television. I intend to look further into what kind of media to we most react to and what the reactions mean and I hope that I can find a particular aspect of the media to focus on as part of photographic experiment looking at facial expressions.

I also continue to update my newspaper portrait collection, still focusing on analysing the facial expressions that are prominent in the newspapers and what they might mean...

No comments:

Post a Comment